Professional Development Offerings:
We are pleased to offer professional development workshops to support the 4-H System to reach its National 4-H Grows & Opportunity vision.
1. Identity Inclusion in Extension Programming
In this workshop we will provide PYD practitioners with a toolkit for approaching outreach within Indigenous communities. Presenters will conduct a close overview of the Peoplehood Site Assessment Tool and review strategies for making program spaces identity focused. Presenters will discuss essential/common themes of identity, and the positive impacts that identity inclusion can have on program relevance and impacts.
Discussion and presentation topics will include:
- Overview of the Peoplehood Site Assessment Tool.
- Overview of existing resources that inform efforts with First Nations.
- Provide guidance on structuring programs and evaluations to focus on participant identity as primary.
- Identifying community assets.
- Developing social capital and community recognition.
Mode of Delivery: Virtual and Recorded Module
Duration: 60 minutes
Contact Person: Josh Farella / firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Understanding Poverty: A Six-Week Series of Readings with Discussion Groups
The objectives of these sessions are to:
- better understand poverty, including barriers and constraints those living in poverty may face.
- understand personal biases or assumptions about poverty.
- familiar with varying dimensions of poverty (i.e., urban; rural; intersectionality with race, gender, etc.).
- learn strategies for implementing 4-H programs that are accessible to all regardless of income or possible barriers faced by youth living in poverty.
In this six-week virtual series, participants will read 2-3 short reading weekly. The readings will be followed by a 45-60 minute opportunity to talk about the readings using discussion questions.
Mode of Delivery: Virtual
Duration: 45-60 minutes for each session
Contact: Jen Hargrove / email@example.com
3. Providing 4-H Opportunities for Youth in Foster Care
- Learn strategies to collaborate with foster care agencies.
- Greater understanding of how working with foster care case workers can facilitate the identification wrap around services to support youth in foster care and their families.
Mode of delivery: Virtual
Duration: 1 hour.
Contact: Candi Propp Dierenfield, PhD / firstname.lastname@example.org